Wednesday, January 13, 2010

OP-ED Article

I am an addict.

Today, at the age of 18, I publicly plead guilty to my own addiction. My addiction has led me to support things such as slavery, terrorism, and rape. My addiction has been so strong that I have - at almost any cost - ruthlessly pursued to feed it. Even at the expense of human life.

My drug of choice? Columbite-Tantalite or more commonly known as Coltan. Coltan is a rare and unique metallic ore that is essential in the production of nearly every single cell phone, camera, and laptop produced today. It's not a very apealing addiction when explained as simply a "metallic ore," but put in a new iPhone, laptop, digital camera, or video game system, I begin to feel the rush of it coursing through my veins. I like my Coltan wrapped in the newest designs, sleekest looks, and always fashionably trendy.

Eighty-percent of the world's Coltan is mined and produced in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The DRC is currently one of the worst worn torn places in the world. For the last several years, rebel forces have been using the funds from the mining of Coltan to support this atrocious war. Routinely rebel forces are in search of men and young boys to support their mining efforts, looking for slaves, and raiding the DRC villages. Leaving behind women and young girls raped and left to fend for themselves. Media outlets refer to this war as a 'conflict,' but it's more than that. It's a byproduct of our consumer-could-careless-desires out of control. It's our simple addiction 'to have' at all costs.

Currently there are two bills in the US Congress, Bill S. 3058, the Conflict Coltan and Casserite Act of 2008 and also H.R. 4128, the Conflict Minerals Trade Act, that can bring about change to our country's dependency on Coltan. I have already sent letters to my state representatives asking them to examine and thoughtfully consider facing this issue and making a change that can make a difference in the lives of the innocent in the DRC. I hope that each of you will thoughtfully examine this issue and consider doing likewise.

The first step in recovery is admitting we have a problem and recognizing something needs to be done. And today, I realize my own addiction even our country's addiction. Something needs to be done on behalf of the people of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Chyna Marquez

Senior, High Tech High

San Diego, CA

No comments:

Post a Comment